CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
CREATIVE WRITING EDITOR
CHICANA/LATINA STUDIES: The Journal of Mujeres Activas en Letras y Cambio Social
DEADLINE: October 1, 2015
MALCS invites nominations and self-nominations for Creative Writing Editor to serve a five-year term for its flagship, interdisciplinary journal, Chicana/Latina Studies: The Journal of Mujeres Activas en Letras y Cambio Social. The term would begin May 15, 2016 and end on May 15, 2021.
Qualifications of candidates: This position is open to individuals at various ranks. A broad knowledge of the humanities and engagement with interdisciplinary theoretical developments in the field is required. Ideal candidates will possess a record of commitment, involvement, collaboration, and/or mentoring of individuals engaged in creative writing.
Major responsibilities include:
- Solicit high-quality creative writing manuscripts from potential authors
- Assist authors with the publication processes
- Produce a summary of creative work for each issue
- Collaborate with Lead Editor(s) with respect to the production process
- Initiate and post “Calls for Creative Writing” submissions
Applicants must have a letter of support from their institution indicating the level of support for this activity during the five-year appointment. Examples of institutional support may include course release time, funding to attend MALCS Summer Institute, and/or general office support.
Nominators should ascertain their nominee’s willingness to serve before submitting a name; self-nominations are also welcome.
Search procedure: The National Advisory Board will review applicants for each position immediately after submission deadline. For the position of Creative Writing Editor, the National Advisory Board will make a recommendation to the current Lead Editors, Drs. Gloria H. Cuádraz and C. Alejandra Elenes and the MALCS Executive Committee.
The application packet for Creative Writing Editor should include:
- A Cover Letter: Describing your interest in and qualifications for appointment.
- A Vision Statement: Set forth your goals and plans for the content of the Journal.
- Background Information: The name, affiliation, and other relevant information about the potential editor. Describe the work-related and professional experiences that qualify you to evaluate and provide feminist guidance to potential authors.
- Institutional Support: Please include a letter from your institution, which will serve as “A Memorandum of Agreement” between MALCS and the Creative Writing Editor’s institution.
- Contact information
Please send your Cover Letter addressed to: Josie Méndez-Negrete, Associate Professor, College of Education and Human Development, Department of Bicultural Bilingual Studies, 501 West César Estrada Chávez Boulevard, DB 4.346, San Antonio, Texas 78201.
Please send Application Packet electronically to email@example.comFiled under Announcements, MALCS business | Comment (0)
Mujeres Activas en Letra y Cambio Social is proud to announce the new members of the Executive and Coordinating Committees, elected at the 2015 Summer Institute Members’ Meeting.
Our newly elected officers are:
- Chair Elect: Judith Flores Carmona
- Recording Secretary: Jean Aguilar-Valdez
- Treasurer: Lisa-Justine Hernandez
- Membership Coordinator: Vanessa Fonseca
- At-large Representatives: Martha Acevedo and Dora Lopez Mata
Due to personal reasons Aída Hurtado had to resign as Chair-elect. The Coordinating Committee decided that Nohemy Solórzano-Thompson would stay one more year as Chair and that Rita Urquijo-Ruiz would remain one more year as Ex-Officio.
Our Caucuses also elected new representatives who will serve on the Coordinating Committee. We welcome:
- Isabel Millan, LBTQ Caucus
- Lilly Castrellon and Tiffany Gonzalez, Graduate Caucus
The representatives from the WINC Caucus (Egla Martinez, Stephanie Fetta, Cristina Rose) were not able to attend the Summer Institute, and no new representatives were elected.
Lastly, Seline Szkupinski Quiroga was appointed Webjefa.
More information on all members of MALCS leadership can be found on the Leadership page.
Filed under Announcements, MALCS business | Comment (1)
The website for the 2015 MALCS Summer Institute at UNM is up! The address is institute.malcs.org
Here you can find information on registration, lodging and options for getting to Albuquerque. The site will be updated as the information is made available by the Site Committee.
If there is information you need, or if you have suggestions, please contact the Site Committee at firstname.lastname@example.orgFiled under Announcements, MALCS Summer Institute | Comment (1)
Preparations continue for the 2015 MALCS Summer Institute, to be held at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque.We are very excited about this year’s Institute and it’s theme of “Honoring Our Intersectionality, Honoring Our Migrations Roots/Routes.”
The UNM Summer Institute artist is Gabriela Hernández who has created this beautiful poster. Downloadable posters for distribution are available here.
Here are some important updates:
- If you submitted a proposal for the 2015 SI, decisions will be completed before the end of the month and you will be advised via email.
- The UNM Summer Institute website will be coming soon with information on off-and on-campus housing, as well as online registration.
- Registration fees for the 2015 Summer Institute have been set at:
- members $125
- non-members $175
- students $50
- community $25/day
- If you are a vendor and would like to sell your goods at the SI, please contact email@example.com
In honor of the intersectionality of our lives and our whole selves, the 2015 MALCS Summer Institute at the University of New Mexico invites proposals that showcase the work we as activists, artists, community members and scholars create. In this way, we honor the intersectionalities of all parts of our research, movement building work, community organizing and varied educational experiences.
Please send a 250-word abstract to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
In addition, please let us know if you will need any audio/visual equipment.
Deadline: April 19, 2015
More information hereFiled under Announcements, CFP, MALCS Summer Institute | Comment (0)
Chicana/Latina Studies: The Journal of Mujeres Activas en Letras y Cambio Social invites your participation at its MALCS Summer Institute Writing Workshop at the University of New Mexico, July 29 to August 1, 2015. Two sessions focusing on academic articles will take place on Wednesday, July 29, and Friday, July 31, 2015.
Those interested in participating must submit electronic copies of a letter of application and a final draft of a manuscript by June 19, 2015 at 5:00 pm to Josie.MendezNegrete@utsa.edu. This two-day workshop has space for no more than ten participants who are current paid members of MALCS and who must register for the Summer Institute.
More information about the MALCS Summer Institute Writing Workshop can be found at http://www.malcs.org/summer-institute/summer-institute-writing-workshop/Filed under Announcements, CFP, MALCS Summer Institute | Comment (0)