PREAMBLE: Nosotras, Mujeres Activas en Letras y Cambio Social, afirmamos nuestra dedicación al trabajo de unificar nuestra actividad academica con nuestra participación y compromiso en la vida comunitaria. Nos dedicamos a sobresalir en la academia para asi servir mejor a nuestras comunidades.
ARTICLE I: NAME
The name of this organization shall be Mujeres Activas en Letras y Cambio Social, hereinafter referred to as MALCS.
ARTICLE II: GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
A. To recruit and support Chicanas/Latinas in higher education and advanced studies;
B. To develop and strengthen regional and local chapters to involve Chicana/Latinas at all levels of the educational ladder;
C. To encourage and promote the distribution of research on Chicana/Latinas.
D. To promote the development and institutionalization of Chicana/Latina Studies.
ARTICLE III: REGIONS
SECTION 1: MALCS WILL BE DIVIDED INTO THE FOLLOWING REGIONS:
A. Northern California
B. Southern California
C. Rocky Mountains
F. East Coast
H. Southwest Region (Arizona, New Mexico, Texas)
SECTION 2: THE PURPOSES OF EACH REGION ARE:
A. To provide a mechanism for participation and decision-making with the national organization, MALCS.
B. To allow chapters to meet as a region on a regular basis.
C. To sponsor activities that promote the goals of the organization.
SECTION 3: THE MAIN OFFICE OF THE ORGANIZATION SHALL BE LOCATED AT CHICANA/CHICANO STUDIES, UC DAVIS, UNTIL THE MEMBERS OF THE ORGANIZATION SELECT A DIFFERENT BASE.
SECTION 4: EACH REGION WILL ELECT ONE OR MORE REPRESENTATIVE. ONLY ONE MAY SERVE ON THE COORDINATING COMMITTEE.
A. Representatives must be dues paying members of the organization.
B. Representatives must be elected by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the members present and voting.
C. Representatives may be re-elected.
ARTICLE IV: MEMBERSHIP
SECTION 1: WHEREAS CHICANAS/LATINAS HAVE BEEN HISTORICALLY DISCRIMINATED AGAINST AND UNDERREPRESENTED IN INSTITUTIONS OF HIGHER EDUCATION, MEMBERSHIP SHALL TARGET AND BE OPEN TO CHICANS/LATINAS WHO SUPPORT THE GOALS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE ORGANIZATION AS STATED IN ARTICLE I AND WHO PAY THE APPROPRIATE MEMBERSHIP DUES. INSTITUTIONS AND OTHER INTERESTED GROUPS OR PARTIES MAY SUBSCRIBE TO THE NEWSLETTER AND/OR PLACE ADS ONLY FOR ACADEMIC OR PROFESSIONAL POSITIONS AND FELLOWSHIP OPPORTUNITIES IN THE NEWSLETTER FOR A FEE DETERMINED BY THE EDITOR.
SECTION 2: MEMBERSHIP DUES ARE TO BE SET BY THE MEMBERSHIP COORDINATING COMMITTEE AT THE ANNUAL NATIONAL MEETING.
A. Membership dues will entitle members to vote and to receive a one year subscription to the newsletter.
B. Yearly dues shall be due at the time of the annual National Meeting in August.
SECTION 3: THE MEMBERSHIP OF ANY REGULAR MEMBER SHALL TERMINATE UPON OCCURRENCE OF ANY OF THE FOLLOWING EVENTS;
A. the resignation of the member.
B. The failure of a regular member to pay annual dues.
C. The determination by the Coordinating Committee or a committee designated (for example any given region or local) to make such determination that the member has, in a material and serious degree, obstructed the goals and purposes of this organization.
ARTICLE V. MEETING OF MEMBERS
SECTION I: NATIONAL MEETING.
The National Meeting of members shall be held during the annual Summer Institute. Business at the National Meeting, with the exception of
the election of national officers, and amendment of the by-laws shall be conducted by the members present who shall constitute a quorum of the organization.
SECTION 2: SPECIAL NATIONAL MEETINGS.
A special National Meeting of the membership may be called at any time
by a majority of the Coordinating Committee.
SECTION 3: REGIONAL/CHAPTER MEETINGS.
Frequency of such meetings will be at the discretion of regions and
chapters. Sufficient notification of such meetings shall be provided to all
SECTION 4: VOTING
A. Eligibility to vote. Persons entitled to vote at any meeting of members shall be regular members as of the date determined in accordance with Article V Section 1 of these by-laws.
B. Proxy voting is not allowed.
C. Manner of casting votes. Voting may be by voice or ballot. Decisions require a simple majority of members present and voting.
ARTICLE VI: COORDINATING COMMITTEE OFFICERS
SECTION 1: COORDINATING COMMITTEE OFFICERS
The elected and appointed officers of MALCS shall be known as the Coordinating Committee. They will serve for one year and may be re-elected. These officers are:
- Past Chairperson
- Recording Secretary
- membership Coordinator (for both institutions as well as members
- One Editorial Board member other than Chairperson (member to be designated by Editorial Board of the Journal of Chicana Studies)
- One regional representative for each region.
SECTION 2: QUALIFICATION FOR OFFICE
A. All candidates for elective office of MALCS must be current members of MALCS
B. Nominations for Coordinating Committee shall be submitted by mail in time for publication in the Spring newsletter. Nominations are also permitted from the floor at the annual National Meeting.
C. The general body will vote on these nominees. Nominees must win by a simple majority vote. In the event of a tie, the general body will vote on the candidates in question.
D. The coordinating Committee members will use their own resources in the course of MALCS business. When possible, MALCS will help pay for travel expenses.
SECTION 3: DUTIES OF THE OFFICERS
A. Chairperson shall:
1. Preside at all meetings of the Coordinating Committee;
2. implement the policy of the Coordinating Committee;
3. represent the Association in all matters, but is to take no position which is contrary to these By-Laws or the express policy of the Coordinating Committee;
4. sign, with the Treasurer, all checks issued in the name of the Association;
5. together with at least one other officer, sign all contracts approved by the Coordinating Committee;
6. call General, Special meeting, and Coordinating Committee meeting;
7. appoint the Historian;
8. shall assume the office of Past-Chairperson after her term expires;
9. retain General Counsel, as needed;
10. conduct all correspondence for MALCS;
11. keep in safe custody all correspondence and other matter received by the organization and copies of all matter sent by the organization;
12. prepare or cause to be prepared all written or typed or printed matter of the organization;
13. and sit on the Editorial Board of Journal of Chicana Studies.
B. Chairperson elect shall:
1. Assume office of Chairperson when the Chairperson’s term expires;
2. assume the duties of the Chairperson, in the absence of the Chairperson;
3. call a meeting of the Coordinating Committee for the purpose of determining whether the Chairperson is unwilling or unable to perform the duties of the Chair; such a meeting must be called in writing with no less than five (5) days notice, and only when the Chair-Elect has a good cause to believe that the Chairperson is unable or unwilling to perform the duties of the Chair;
4. assume the duties of Chairperson if so directed by the Coordinating committee;
5. be responsible for publishing the Newsletter.
C. Treasurer shall:
1. Keep the accounts and the accounting of MALCS;
2. prepare quarterly financial statements for the members of the Coordinating Committee within thirty (30) days after the close of the quarter, and together with the Chairperson, at the proper time, sign all checks issued by the organization;
3. collect all monies due to the organization, at the proper time, and advise the Coordinating Committee of the monies received from members and all other sources;
4. and maintain a current membership list.
D. Recording Secretary shall:
1. Keep the minutes of all regular and special meetings of the membership; said minutes shall be distributed to the Coordinating Committee and the membership within (30) days after adjournment of each meeting;
2. and preserve all books, documents, letters.
E. Historian shall maintain all records of historical significance to the chapter, and shall maintain a notebook which shall include such items as newspaper clippings, dates of significant chapter event and turn over to her successor such material.
F. Membership Coordinator shall:
1. keep a current list of members of the organization;
2. and conduct a yearly membership drive before July.
G. Editorial Board representative shall serve on the Editorial Board.
H. Past Chairperson shall attend all Coordinating Committee meetings for one year following their term as Chairperson and shall serve as reference person on questions relating to the organization’s policies.
I. Regional Representatives shall implement Article III, Section 2.
ARTICLE VII: AMENDMENTS TO BY-LAWS
SECTION 1: Amendments to MALCS By-Laws can be made by the Coordinating
Committee and require a 2/3 vote of those present at the meeting.